Wednesday 12 August 2009

Dr Feelgoods Chocolate Cake, just the thing for a rainy day

So it is raining, non stop today. Too wet even to take the dog for much of a game, every time he is out side we have to wipe his paws and give him a towel down. He seems to be happy sitting out the front on the door stoop watching the rain and the world go bye. This photo shows the view or should I say lack of view from our deck. This is how it has been for the last couple of days. If I sit still too long I think I am going to go moldy! Today I have been planning meals for DH while I am away, so right now in the oven is a lovely simple lamb slow cook casserole, otherwise known simply as Lamb Stew. Lamb Stew, simple 4 lamb chops, 2 cloves garlic, 2 onions, 3tblspns Worcester sauce, carrots, potatoes, parsnips, (peas I will add in a little while, and some flour to thicken it if it needs it) I have lovely heavy duty enamel casserole dish, so I can do the whole process in one pot. Gently fry garlic and onions, add chops and brown, chop vegies, adding what ever you like, add a couple of cups of water, and Worcester sauce, S & P put lid on and put in oven to cook slowly, or in your slow cooker.. Serve with crusty fresh bread or damper. (which is not going to be happening here this time) Also in the oven is Dr Feelgoods Chocolate Cake recipe, from Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon. One of the best simplest recipes ever,made completely in one bowl you only need a 4 cup measure, a teaspoon and tablespoon and no dairy or eggs, so is great for any vegans out there. Okay Makes 2 9 inch cake rounds or one 9 x 13 inch cake grease your cake tins, well She uses 2 tblspns of sugar (I use raw), and 2tblspns of cocoa powder(I have a great very dark cocoa powder that I buy in bulk) but normal would be okay though I have never used it. She uses this to shake all over the greased baking tins, which gives the cake/s a lovely crust that is sweetish, saves icing it. I dont always do this usually I ice it. this photo shows the uniced version, too hot to ice. So Cake ingredients, 2 cups sugar 2/3 cup cocoa powder not sweetened 3 cups wholemeal flour plain 2 tspns baking powder (soda) not bicarb soda 1 tspn salt 2 cups of water 1/2 cup vegetable oils, 2tblspns cider vinegar, white vinegar(which is what I usually use) or freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 tblspn pure vanilla extract. (I am using my home made vanilla essence shop bought would be okay too) Preheat oven to 350f Spray or oil generously your cake tins. I use pyrex glass baking dishes as the ones I have, come with lids, so I can store the cake in the same dish it is cooked in. Do the dusting thing as explained above. Coating the dishes well. Easy to make this cake by hand as it is a very quick simple mix with a spoon. Begins quite sloppy but thickens as wholemeal flour absorbs liquid Put flour and sugar in large mixing bowl add cocoa, baking powder, and salt and mix with a spoon, In your four cup measure (or if you are like me only have a 2 cup, I pour 1 cup of water into dry mix and then mix all the liquids together in the jug). Put the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla essence mix vigorously for a couple of minutes. (I often just pour it all together and mix in the bowl with dry goods making sure it is really mixed well) Once mixed pour into the dry ingredients and mix until all dry stuff is mixed in. Pour mix into cake tins, bang on bench a couple of times to remove any air bubbles. Place in preheated oven and bake until the edges have pulled away from the sides of the tin and the cake tests clean with a toothpick (you stick a toothpick or thin bamboo skewer into the centre of the cake, if the pick/stick comes out clean cake is cooked, if cake mix sticks leave for longer). Let cool. Decide if you want to ice or leave. Serve however you enjoy. So right now the house is warm, with the smell of lamb stew and chocolate cake cooking. Gray skies and mist, rain falling, DH clattering about in his workshop creating more wonderful timber creations, the cat laying on the desk, fire glowing me sharing simple pleasures. Lovely simple and very little washing up! That is bliss. I am looking forward to sitting by the fire reading a book, having a piece of Dr Feelgoods chokkie cake.
This photo was a few weeks ago as I drove home from Cygnet, the small village nearest us.

No comments: