Saturday 19 June 2010

The calm after the storm


Amazing what some real sleep and a day to oneself can do for the soul. I doing very little actually and that was ok.  I left guilt behind me.
My DH had a pleasant time with his daughters. Mind you he was so happy to be home as I was to have him home.  It was an unpleasant situation however solutions have been found and I am saying I need a break before it is too much.  Breaks my heart to feel it is all to much at times.

My DH made a decision yesterday and said that this weekend we would be at home and have no visitors.  It was an quite strange when he said this as it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders.  I was girding up my mind and body for more visitors.  Please  do not get me wrong I like visitors and we do enjoy them.  It is just that it seems to have been non stop for months now.  This no visitors included family.  He tells me not to feel  guilty about us wanting our own time, to be together for a weekend with no one coming.  So I laughingly said I would drive the car to the end of the drive pop a sign on it and leave it there for the weekend.  He said lets do it.  So here it is..  
 I added quickly an amendment that all was okay though.

We have had a lovely week with some lovely suprises. The bench that DH had begun to build for me but sadly not able to finish, arrived home, and we spent a pleasant 40mins together oiling it to protect it for the rain that was forecast for later in the evening.  We were rushing as it was so gray, but we made it and the oil even dried mostly.


The beautiful timber is a local one called Huon Pine.  It is a extremely slow growing timber and there sadly is not a lot of trees remaining.  He also has made me a coffee table and side table.








Two hens are now moulting and my egg count is down to 1 or less a day.  So I guess with a 50% reduction in the work crew the other two are doing their best.


We have been having rain which has been very needed.  Full rain tanks.


Daphne is getting ready to bloom, and a friend had jonquils in her garden this week.  We walked through the garden this afternoon in a short sunny break.  As we walked through our Wattle tree arbour we were noticing all the blossoms developing, and all of a sudden in the sunlight we noted the fluffy blossoms of one ahead.  As we approached I asked DH if he could smell the sweet smell that was coming on the breeze and sunshine?  Surprisingly he could the warmth of the brief sunny break warmed the perfume..bliss.


 Sun on fallen timber

Lichen growing on a dead tree in the sunshine
all in all a lovely memorable short walk about our garden with my love today.  This is what living is about to me.  Being able to stop, stand still looking at all we have and feeling rich and so very fortunate to live where we do.  Knowing that our journey is as magic as the amazing things we have around us that nature provides, and we have harnessed.  Having someone to have such times with and love, simple pleasures, mean so much.

8 comments:

belinda said...

Congratulations on the two of you carving out your own weekend and What a wonderful way to spend it.

Visitors are wonderful but I know sometimes just having control over your own space is really important.

Best Wishes for the future
Belinda

Frogdancer said...

What a lovely post.

JOC said...

Good to hear that you're back on top of things!
The quiet "no visitors" weekend is a great idea too. I've just returned from the airport, M is away until Friday night, and it's as quiet as can be here. I'm not planning any tasks today, I haven't even done the breakfast dishes yet! The weather is beautiful today so I might wander around, just like you did, and make a note of what to do in the coming days. But not today, it's my time.
Best wishes to you and your DH.

Jan

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I think that was a great thing to do, put that sign in the car window! Naturally You two needs some time alone.

Beautiful bench!

It seemes You have better and warmer weather than we have right now. I´ve started all radiators today.
Take care of You both now!
Christer.

Mrs B said...

It's nice to be able to set aside those times for yourself!! And I love your idea of putting a note on the car - it's an idea I'll pocket away for future use.

That chair is gorgeous!!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I LOVE your posts and don't get over here to visit you half often enough...lol "visit"...did you get that? I'm being silly.

Seriously, I know what you mean. It's so nice to have things quiet..peaceful, no one to feed or entertain. I totally understand. :)
Mona

BubzRugz said...

Hi - my first visit to you... sorry to hear you and dh are having a tough time and well done for calling out 'no visitors' - we all need a pitstop every now and then.......

Aussiemade said...

Hi everyone I cant say how much your support and kind words mean to me. That is the weird thing about blogging. Most of us will never meet, but somehow we have connected and as Mona said we visit each other. Would love to be able to have a cuppa and chat with you Mona I admire you so much.
In saying we will not meet it is not true I have connected with several new friends through blogs.