Tuesday 9 June 2009

Bread Making as I can't get into the garden much!

Just wanted to share my bread success with you. It is really delicious, and so easy. It is a white bread or roll recipe from the Family Circle Favourite Bakery Recipes Book It makes 1 loaf or 10 bread rolls. 3 cups plain flour 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1x7gm dry yeast sachet (I used 2 teaspoons of loose yeast from lowan which I store in fridge) 1 cup of hot water 2 teaspoons of oil or melted butter. (I used olive oil) I added several tablespoons of mixed seeds I have. Pumpkin, sunflower, and linseed whole seeds. 1 Mix dry ingrediants including yeast in a large bowl. Combine oil with water. Add to dry ingrediants and beat well. Mix by hand to form soft dough. 2. Turn dough on to a lightly floured board, knead for 10minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl(I don't do this, I just put into a glass bowl). Brush top with warm water (I forgot to do this) cover with greased plastic film. (I just put a plate over the bowl or a lid if I have one that fits) Leave in a warm place until dough doubles in size approximately 35 mins. 3 Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for 1 minute. 4 Shape dough into a loaf and place in a greased loaf tin 23X10X8 cm deep pan.(I just shape the bread and place on a baking tray). 5. Brush the top of the dough with warm water, ( I forgot to do this) and leave to rise in a warm place for another 35 minutes. 6 Bake in a very hot oven, ( I put my fan forced gas oven to the highest setting pre-heat. Iput the bread into the oven and spray cool water on the sides (not a lot but most bakers ovens have moisture controls and since I have been doing this my bread is so much better. I let it cook for a few minutes and then I spray the sides of the oven again, creating steam. I then let the bread cook. Recipe says for 30 minutes. To test whether the loaf is baked, turn out of tin, The sides and base should be golden brown and sound hallow when tapped. To make rolls follow directions 1-4 than divide into 10 pieces shape each into a ball place 5cm apart on grease baking tray. Leave to rise for 20 minutes. Bake in very hot 15-20 minutes. I am eating mine with lovely honey as I type! I would love to hear feed back on how your bread goes and what you have added to it. I am thinking of doing some feta and sundried tomato rolls with herbs. It is going to snow down to 400meter mark tonight, 3 to 9 is our temp range tommorow with gale winds.. so I am so glad we are snug with the fire warming us!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Yum - will have to give these a go.
Thanks for sharing.

Aussiemade said...

Nicole I hope you gave this recipe a try and liked it.