Monday 2 March 2009

Winter Garden beginings March 2009

Thanks Sara for the inspiration to get cracking on my winter vegie plots. I have put mushroom compost, horse manure and home compost onto this patch and will add some blood and bone today. I am going to go try the one magic square concept, a very interesting book by Lolo Houbein, and it is Australian which is even better! There will be several bed each a square metre. One will have the root crops, onions turnips, swedes, beetroot, onions, garlic, and she puts winter radish but I think I would prefer more garlic. The onions are in the centre. Another will hold the antioxidants, amaranth, Chinese broccoli, rocket, silver beet, spinach. I will also have a salad bed which will have endive, baby carrots, mizuna, diakon radish, coriander, shallots, Chinese swedes(if I can get some) corn salad, snow peas, tatsoy, onion, parsley, spinach, winter lettuce, rocket, a soup plot with onions, garlic, kale, leek, beetroot, carrots, sorrel and cabbage, A broad bean and pea area, a stirfry bed with broad beans, snow peas, sprouting broccoli, cabbages, cauliflower, bok choy, tatsoy, and pea shoots. another concept is the Horta plot. So looks like a lot of greens on the menu for us, along with the pumpkins I have already on the vines, root vegies, and my stored potatoes and garlic. It is my plan that eventually I will not need to buy any vegies. Great plans and only time will tell how it all comes about. Needing lots of encouragement on here and Simple Savers website.. simplesavers.com.au great site for support and savings tips. We are really beginning to get onto the chicken house, and during winter we will fence and build an area for them. My concept is to have the chicken area with acess to an area of the vegie gardens, that need to be cleaned manured and turned, so that the chooks will have plenty of free ranging, a nice home to roost and be safe from quolls and eagles and dogs. Some greens that they can eat regularly and we will get eggs and at times free range meat. Anyone who knows me knows I am not built for speed and my darling man likes to think things through where as me I would just go for it..woosh..lol

No comments: